With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the fifth largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The Philadelphia Department of Human Services serves approximately 10,000 children per year with a workforce of 1,300 employees; 10 contracted Community Umbrella Agencies that provide day-to-day case management services for vulnerable children; and a wide range of child welfare, delinquent, and community-based service providers.
The core mission of the Department of Human Services (DHS) is to provide and promote safety, permanency, and well-being for children and youth at risk of abuse, neglect and delinquency.
The DHS Division of Performance Management and Technology supports the core mission of DHS in the following ways:
· Strengthening how the child welfare system utilizes data to make informed decisions about the children and families we serve;
· Evaluating service quality and consistency, identifying needed improvements, and tracking these improvements over time,
· Building a world class data and information technology infrastructure for one of the larger urban child welfare systems in the country; and
· Developing and maintaining integrated information systems and data analytics so that practitioners can easily access and utilize quality and accurate data in their day-to-day decisions.
Conducting short- and long-term research to evaluate the effectiveness of programs and system-wide initiatives in order to continually inform child welfare policy and practice.
This posting is for an undergraduate or graduate school intern position with the Philadelphia Department of Human Services, Division of Performance Management and Technology, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
This posting is for an 8-10 week unpaid internship position with DHS Division of Performance Management and Technology (PMT). The intern will work part time (at least 10 hours per week) between 9am-5pm at least one day a week.
PMT is seeking a responsible, resourceful, innovative and dedicated student to assist with research and evaluation that is carried out by the Data Analytics Unit (DAU). After an initial orientation, the intern will be expected to carry out literature and document reviews, organize and analyze simple datasets, and assist with writing policy briefs and reports as needed.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written
· Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
· Strong organizational abilities and time management skills
· Demonstrated leadership skills and self-motivation
· Knowledge and experience with current administrative software: (ie: MS Word, Excel, Internet browsers, PowerPoint etc)
Knowledge of and interest in learning about applied research and evaluation
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to pchr@ phila.gov. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website at: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations
The successful candidate must reside in the City of Philadelphia or establish primary residence in the City of Philadelphia within 6 months of employment.
Must be enrolled full time as an undergrad or grad student
· PA Child Abuse Clearances
· PA Criminal Clearances
· FBI clearances
· Unofficial Transcript
· Writing Sample