Peer Recovery Specialist

Paid30-40 hoursPhiladelphiaYear Round


The Peer Recovery Specialist will work on PACMAT project. The position is based out of the PHMC Care Clinic, but the person will provide peer recovery services in the community, emergency department, and different health centers that are providing medication assisted treatment for opioid use disorder. The Peer Recovery Specialist (PRS) is a person in recovery from a substance use disorder, who has been trained to work with others on his/her/their individual road to recovery and incorporate personal experience to inspire hope in those they serve. The PRS will work closely with clients and in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary health care team. The PRS will be responsible for connecting with existing patients and linkages to medication assisted treatment.

•Work within the project’s North Philadelphia target communities, emergency departments and health centers to reach adults living with opioid use disorder;
•Screen and interview formerly incarcerated, substance-using adults for enrollment;
•Conduct individualized and group meetings with clients and provide a set of non-clinical activities that engage, educate and offer support to individuals;
•Comply with all regulations under HIPAA regulations and the PACMAT Grant; and
•Maintain appropriate records of activities, participants, fidelity, and outcomes

•At least two years of experience with vulnerable populations, including substance use and/or mental health disorders; knowledge of North Philadelphia a plus
•Excellent interpersonal skills; comfort working with diverse populations and in multidisciplinary teams;
•Ability to maintain client confidentiality; sensitivity to racial/ethnic and economic diversity;
•Bilinigual English/Spanish preferred

•At least two years of personal substance use recovery
•At least two years of community outreach and/or interviewing experience
•At least two years of experience working with substance-involved minority populations

Education Requirement:
•High School Diploma/GED required

•Commensurate with education and experience