Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free legal services to low-income clients.
Philadelphia VIP seeks a highly motivated, detail oriented, dependable intern to join our LawWorks and Communications team. LawWorks is the community economic development initiative of Philadelphia VIP and works with small business and nonprofit organization clients. LawWorks strengthens Philadelphia communities by providing these clients with pro bono legal advice and transactional representation. In addition to matching clients with experienced volunteer attorneys for on-going representation, LawWorks plans legal clinics as an opportunity for clients to receive immediate assistance with urgent issues.
Communications is an essential part of VIP and strives to strengthen VIP’s brand recognition, build relationships, recruit volunteers, instill credibility in the larger Philadelphia community, expand VIP’s community reputation in the legal community, and further VIP’s fundraising goals. VIP’s prominent communications initiatives include branding and graphic design, digital and email marketing, public and media relations, as well as social media marketing.
Philadelphia VIP seeks a highly motived undergraduate student to serve as an intern with LawWorks and our Communication team. The Law Works + Communications intern will gain valuable experience, including:
• Communicating with small business and nonprofit organization clients
• Drafting written communication with diverse constituents
• Implementing and improving processes to recruit clients and volunteers, following up on referred cases, and spread awareness of resources through LawWorks
• Communication, public speaking and interviewing skills with volunteers and clients
• Drafting written features, client profiles, articles, e-blasts and news releases
• Researching social media articles and initiatives and building a portfolio of creative social posts
• Gaining experience with photo editing in Adobe Photoshop
The LawWorks + Communications Intern will:
• Communicate with clients leading up to legal clinics to support them in attending
• Assist with client communication after legal clinics to support them in applying for on-going assistance
• Update written LawWorks materials, such as promotional brochures and client guides
• Follow up on referred cases to get updates from clients and volunteer attorneys
• Draft written communications to clients and volunteer attorneys to inform them of upcoming events and resources
• Take event photos, edit in Photoshop and upload to VIP internal storage
• Interview Volunteer of the Month attorneys and write features
• Conduct research for New Volunteer Orientation as well as help organize and attend events
• Interview clients and write stories to have on-hand for PR and Fundraising
• Research social media articles and create social media content
• Update volunteer information in VIP’s Legal Server database
• Recruit new volunteers/firms/clients through social media outreach initiatives
Candidates who can demonstrate the following will be strongly considered:
• Interest in community development
• Prior experience in event coordination
• Strong organization skills and keen attention to details and accuracy
• Interest in Communications/Marketing
• Excellent creative/narrative writing skills
• Proficient with social media pages including Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter
• Strong presence & comfortable communicating with community members, volunteers, & clients
Application process: Email resume, cover letter, and availability as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org and address your letter to Pranshu Verma, Director of Operations.
Emails should have “Law Works + Communications – [Applicant Name]” in the email subject line.