The Mayor’s Press Office creates and implements comprehensive communications strategies to inform Philadelphians about their government and to provide them with critical information in times of emergency or stress. As a secondary priority, they also work to promote Philadelphia to those beyond our borders. The Communications team specifically facilitates access to Mayor and members of his administration, and also coordinates communications messaging and objectives across departments.
The Mayor’s Press Office is looking for interns for the upcoming Spring 2018 Semester. Start date would be sometime in January or February with an end date in May. We’re looking for interns that ideally would work at least 10 hours a week. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the work of local government in one of the nation’s largest cities. These positions will be based in City Hall.
● Monitor news outlets for relevant information about the City’s initiatives.
● Compile press clips for daily distribution to staff.
● Prepare official correspondence on behalf of the Mayor.
● Assist with briefings and talking points before the Mayor’s public appearances.
● Provide administrative support to the communications team as needed.
● Help with ad hoc projects that may arise over the course of the semester.
● Interest in the day-to-day operations of one of the nation’s largest cities.
● Expertise in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel).
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Strict attention to detail.
● Positive attitude and willingness to contribute in a variety of ways.
● Previous experience working in a government office is a plus but not required.
Interested applicants should include a current resume, a cover letter, and 2 one-page writing samples.
This is an open, competitive, unpaid internship.
We have great flexibility regarding which days and times during the week the internship is scheduled; we just ask that the schedule be regular and set. The intern must work on-site.